*This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission (at no additional cost to you!) if you make a purchase using any of these links.*
Happy 4th of July weekend, y’all! I hope there are some fireworks and good old-fashioned summer barbecues in your weekend plans. As for me and Kyle, we just moved, so we’ll be laying low and having an intimate Independence Day celebration on Sunday. Even for small gatherings, I always love making a signature cocktail for holiday parties. This year, a recipe I saw on Cosmo’s Facebook page caught my eye. Originally adapted from Frosting and a Smile, this “Cherry Bomb” recipe video made my vodka-hating mouth water. In my opinion, the only thing that sounds better than vodka infused gummy bears are vodka infused cherries. So, instead of making patriotic sangria or a firecracker cocktail, I decided to try my own 4th of July-inspired vodka infused cherries. And they’re amazing.
These vodka infused cherries, aka cherry bombs, are the perfect combination of sweet and sour. My only warning is to eat them responsibly… because they’ll sneak up on you. Quickly. To make a batch, all you need is a jar of stemmed maraschino cherries (be sure to not accidentally purchase stemless cherries), vanilla-flavored vodka (I used Pinnacle Whipped), white chocolate melting wafers (I used Ghiradelli), and blue decorating sugar. Keep reading for a printable and downloadable recipe card, including step-by-step photographic breakdown.
Recipe: 4th of July-Inspired Vodka Infused Cherries
These vodka infused cherries are ridiculously easy to make, although they can be quite messy. Be sure to make these at least one day before your event, because there’s a recommended 24+ hours of refrigeration and soaking involved. The actual “prep work” should only take you about five to ten minutes.
- 1 jar stemmed maraschino cherries (16 oz)
- 1 cup Pinnacle Whipped Vodka
- 1 cup white chocolate melting wafers
- 1/2 cup blue decorating sugar
- Refrigerate the entire jar of maraschino cherries for a minimum of 12 hours.
- Using a strainer, pour out chilled cherry juice and cherries. Place cherries back in the jar and add 1 cup Whipped vodka. Refrigerate and let soak for 12-24 hours.
- Using a strainer, pour out vodka and boozy cherries. Allow cherries to air dry on a paper towel.
- Using microwave-safe container, melt 1 cup white melting wafers in microwave at half power for 30-45 seconds.
- Dip boozy cherries halfway in melted white chocolate, then in blue decorating sugar. Place on wax paper to set. Repeat for all cherries.
- Eat responsibly!
- The longer you allow the cherries to soak in vodka, the stronger they'll taste.
- Keep leftover cherry vodka to make a variety of red, white, and blue cocktails.
- Switch out the blue decorating sugar for other holidays (green for Christmas, pink for Valentine's Day, etc)!
Adorable, right? Yes, they’re the perfect combination of sweet and tart, and yes, these vodka infused cherries as dangerous as they look. Another thing that’s great about this recipe is that you can exchange the blue decorating sugar for green or pink for different holidays– Christmas, Valentine’s Day, etc. For some fun non-alcoholic 4th of July snack recipes, check out this healthy caprese bites appetizer and this patriotic watermelon fruit salad. Enjoy your long weekend, y’all!