*This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission (at no additional cost to you!) if you make a purchase using any of these links.*
Hosting a Derby Day party this year? Send your guests home with a DIY mint julep kit! I got the idea from Pizzazzerie’s gorgeous Entertain in Style book, and I couldn’t wait to share it with y’all. These mini cocktail kits include everything you need to make your own mint julep, including a DIY horse drink stirrer and mini bottle of homemade mint simple syrup. Keep reading to learn how to put together your own! You can also click play on the Instagram Reel below for a super short little tutorial
DIY Mint Julep Kits
First thing’s first, here’s a shopping checklist for assembling your own DIY mint julep kits–
- Plastic Silver Julep Cups– Real silver mint julep cups are ex-pen-sive, so definitely try and find plastic ones if you can.
- Green Crinkle Paper– I buy mine in bulk on Amazon. It’s great for Christmastime, too!
- Mini Bottles of Bourbon– Any mini bottle of bourbon will work, but I love Woodford Reserve. Their bottles are pretty, and, in case you didn’t know, it’s the official bourbon of the Kentucky Derby.
- Mini Bottles of Homemade Mint Simple Syrup– I originally ordered these mini bottles, but Amazon decided to take two weeks to deliver them. As a last resort, I ran to Hobby Lobby and grabbed some small sand bottles instead. They ended up working perfectly!
- Striped Green Paper Straws– Paper straws are a great way to add a budget-friendly pop of color to a cocktail kit.
- DIY Derby Drink Stirrers– I made these by spray painting mini horse figurines silver and then drilling a hole to insert these plastic stirrers. Stay tuned for the tutorial!
- Ribbon Bow Ties– I’ll admit that I’m not the best at tying pretty bows, so I bought these from Hobby Lobby. They’re actually cheer bows, I just ripped off the clip part.
How to Make a Mint Julep Kit
These mint julep kits are so darn easy to put together. Once you have all your supplies, fill each plastic julep cup with green crinkle paper. Then, add in a mini bottle of Kentucky bourbon (fun fact– Woodford Reserve is the official bourbon of the Kentucky Derby) and a mini bottle of homemade mint simple syrup. Next, throw in a fun straw and a derby drink stirrer or two. Then, for the pièce de résistance, attach a cute green bow or bow tie to the outside of the cup. The ones I used are actually hair bows that I found at Hobby Lobby, but they still work perfectly!
Lastly, after you’ve assembled all your mini mint julep kits, put them on display! I recommend setting them up on your derby day bar cart or snack table as guests leave, so they know to take one home with them.
More Derby Day Party Favor Ideas
If you need more Derby Day party favor ideas, here are a few other posts and products I think you’ll like–
- Mint-Infused Simple Syrup– This homemade mint simple syrup is a great party favor all on its own! Just divide up a batch into a dozen mini bottles and slap on some cute labels. Easy peasy!
- Mini Bourbon Pecan Pies– These adorable little mini pies are my all-time favorite, and they look adorable in little treat boxes (like these). Tie a ribbon around them as an added touch!
- Rustic Mini Horseshoes– I bought these to use as place cards for one of my Kentucky Derby tablescapes and fell in love. They’re so cute, and a pack of 10 is under $15!
Well, that’s all I’ve got for y’all today! As always, please let me know if you have any questions about these cute little DIY mint julep kits. I love hearing from you guys, and I’m happy to help!
Also, if have no idea what to wear to the Kentucky Derby or any Derby Day parties, check out this Derby Day Style Guide. I’ll also be publishing an entertaining guide in the next few days with recipe, decor, and outfit ideas. Hope it’s helpful!